Boasting an 18.4-inch widescreen XBRITE-FullHD display that's designed to maximize LCD space while minimizing chassis size, the Sony VAIO VGN-AW120J/H delivers vibrant colors in full 1080p high definition clarity. Weighing a little more than 8 pounds, it's ideal for multimedia enthusiasts or photographers who like to view or edit high-definition content on-the-go. And the Blu-ray Disc optical drive lets you play HD Blu-ray Disc movies in crystal-clear resolution with immersive audio via Dolby Home Theater surround sound technology and the integrated stereo speakers with subwoofer. An HDMI output provides single-cable full 1080 HD connectivity (audio and video) to a compatible HDTV (cable sold separately). And you'll be able to tackle virtually any graphics requirement with the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics card and 512 MB of dedicated video RAM (and up to 2280 MB of total available memory.
Equipped with an extra-wide 18.4-inch XBRITE-FullHD LCD screen, this Sony AW-Series laptop delivers vibrant colors and full HD 1080p resolution.
A built-in 1.3-megapixel webcam (with integrated microphone) lets you join in on video conferences as well as make long-distance VoIP calls. Other features include a 320 GB hard drive, 4 GB of installed RAM (maximizing capacity), ExpressCard 34 slot, quad-mode Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth connectivity (including stereo music streaming), both Memory Stick and SD card readers as well as a Compactflash slot, biometric fingerprint sensor, and pre-installed 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1).
This Sony notebook is RoHS-compliant, effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances.
This Sony VAIO AW-series notebook takes security seriously, employing a biometric fingerprint sensor and proprietary hard disk drive protection software to ensure your data is protected from unauthorized use as well as accidental damage. It also stores passwords to secure web sites you visit, so authentication and access are quick and easy--you only need your fingerprint.
- Processor: Experience improved energy efficiency, expanded wireless connectivity, and amazing battery life with the 45nm Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 processor featuring Intel Centrino 2 technology. This processor has a 2.26 GHz processor speed, super-sized 1066 MHz front-side bus (FSB), and a extra-large 3 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
Formerly codenamed Montevina, Intel Centrino 2 processor technology improves upon every facet of a laptop's main features, including performance and battery life via new processors and chipsets, faster draft 802.11n wireless, and new business-class manageability capabilities. The new hafnium-infused circuitry--which reduces electrical current leakage in transistors--conserves even more energy, giving you more time away from the wall outlet.
The Intel Core 2 Duo processor has two computational execution cores in a single processor, providing greater system response when running multi-threaded applications simultaneously with no significant increase in power consumption. It's optimized for multitasking and it can run multiple demanding applications--such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching business productivity applications--while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background.
- Hard Drive: The extra large 320 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (5400 RPM) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
- Memory: The 4 GB of installed RAM (PC2-6400, 2 x 2 GB) maximizes the capacity for this notebook,. It also offers an ultra-fast 800 MHz speed.
- DVD/CD Drive: This Sony notebook is capable of playing back Blu-ray Disc movies in stunning clarity, as well as playing your current library of purchased and burned disc content. This notebook can also write standard DVD and CD media. The BD drive offers a 5x speed for reading BD-R/RE discs and a 5x BD-R/RE DL (dual layer) read speed. It also offers the following write speeds for standard DVD and CD discs: 6x DVD±R DL, 8x for single-layer DVD±R, 6x DVD±RW, 24x CD-R/RW, and 5x for DVD-RAM.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a standard 103-key keyboard (2mm stroke and 19.05mm pitch) and electro-static two-button touchpad. Playback controls include play/pause, stop, forward, rewind, AV mode, mute, volume +/-, WLAN/Bluetooth on/off.
Ideal for Blu-ray Disc movies, this Sony AW laptop's 18.4-inch LCD screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Since many high-definition films are shot using a 16:9 aspect ratio, the unit-s extra-wide LCD is constructed with the same dimensions, helping to minimize the black bars that typically appear and letting you view movies in their intended format. The screen's XBRITE-FullHD technology delivers dazzling colors and stunning picture clarity in full 1080p high definition. It also provides deep blacks and bright whites, true-to-life color, and razor-sharp detail. Preventing surprise at print, the Adobe RGB color compatible display ensures the most color accurate reproduction of images captured by your digital camera.
It comes with a Blu-ray Disc optical drive for playback of high-definition content, including movies in full HD 1080p resolution.
This laptop also has an integrated Intel High Definition Audio card with Dolby Digital Live, which provides real-time encoding technology that converts any audio signal into a Dolby Digital bitstream for transport and playback through a home theater system. It provides Dolby Digital (5.1-channel surround sound) during movie playback and gameplay, immersing players in high-quality surround sound that puts them at the center of the action. This laptop includes two built-in stereo speakers and a 2W subwoofer.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated quad-mode Intel Wireless 5100AGN Wi-Fi chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and wi-fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). With the Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones as well as enjoy wireless stereo music streaming (thanks to its embedded A2DP profile).
This notebook also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (though no PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. Here's the full list of connectivity options:
- 3 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
- 1 HDMI output (for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable)
- Analog video output: 1 VGA
- 1 ExpressCard/34 slot
- Memory Stick/Memory Stick PRO slot (Standard/Duo with MagicGate functionality)
- Secure Digital memory card slot (compatible with MMC cards)
- Compactflash memory card slot
- 1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack
- 1 SPDIF digital audio output
- 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
- 56K modem (V.90)
The 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium (with SP1) is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Microsoft Windows Live OneCare anti-virus and recovery (trial version), Microsoft Works SE 9.0, Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student (60-day trial), Sony Click to Disk Editor (CD and DVD burning), VAIO Movie Story (video editing), VAIO MusicBox
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook measures 17.2 x 11.4 x 1.56 inches (WxDxH) and weighs 8.4 pounds.
It's powered by the VGP-BPS13/B rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of between 1 and 2.5 hours (depending on usage).
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGN-AW120J/H notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.
The VAIO AW notebook is a multimedia powerhouse boasting an industry-first 18.4-Inch extra-widescreen display with XBRITE-ECO LCD technology. Designed to maximize LCD space while minimizing chassis size, this user-friendly notebook packs a powerful punch with Blu-ray Disc playback, external NVIDIA graphics and next-gen Intel Centrino 2 processor technology. Whether you are a gamer, photographer or movie enthusiast, this cutting-edge notebook lets you enjoy all your media in a 16:9 aspect ratio that offers a wider viewing area and workspace. And with Dolby Home Theater surround sound and 5 built-in speakers, including a subwoofer, you will enjoy an immersive audio experience that puts this machine a step ahead of the pack.